What Sets Us Apart
Teaching and Learning Opportunities
For nearly a century, MacNeal Hospital located in Berwyn and committed to care for our community. Here at MacNeal, you will get the opportunity to work with not only trainees from MacNeal Hospital but also trainees from University of Illinois and Northwestern University who are rotating at MacNeal. In inpatient teams students from many different medical schools in Chicago area will be working with you. You get the opportunity to teach and learn from them.
Opportunity to work one on one with many specialists
We have several electives available for you to choose and during these electives you work directly with a senior specialist and learn from them. In surgical subspecialties you get the opportunity to see patients in their clinics but also join them in operating room and have hands on experience.
One of the advantages of MacNeal Transitional Year Residency Program is Internal Medicine and Family Medicine residency programs are medium sized therefore all residents and attending physicians know each other. We aspire to create a family-like atmosphere. We have end of block happy hours, fall and spring social events, annual resident retreats, faculty and resident book club throughout the year.
Residents can choose to do a research elective. They have to submit their goals and objectives which would include the background, method and the name of their mentor. We would review these and contact with your mentor about the details of your project.
Publications July 2016- June 2018
- Mutations in MERTK are not associated with age-related macular degeneration. Al-Khersan H1, Kwong A2, Grassi MA PMID: 29299721
- Reply. Al-Khersan H1, Hariprasad SM1, Chhablani J PMID: 29233534
- Early Response to Intravitreal Dexamethasone Implant Therapy in Diabetic Macular Edema May Predict Visual Outcome. Al-Khersan H, Hariprasad SM, Chhablani J; Dex Implant Study Group. PMID: 29032109
- Turning is an important marker of balance confidence and walking limitation in persons with multiple sclerosis. Adusumilli G1, Lancia S1, Levasseur VA2, Amblee V3, Orchard M1, Wagner JM4,5, Naismith RT1. PMID: 29879144
- Perianal Basal Cell Carcinoma: a Case Report. Meeks MW1, Grace S2, Montenegro G3, Schoen MW2, Carpenter D4, Lai JP5, Poddar N2. PMID: 29607468
- Primary Angiosarcoma of the Pancreas. Meeks M1, Grace S1, Veerapong J2, Chen Y1, Cao D3, Zhou Y4, Lai JP5. PMID: 27228987
- Superior metastasis-free survival for patients with high-risk prostate cancer treated with definitive radiation therapy compared to radical prostatectomy: A propensity score-matched analysis. Markovina S1, Meeks MW1, Badiyan S2, Vetter J3, Gay HA1, Paradis A3, Michalski J1, Sandhu G3. PMID: 29904744
- Inferior Outcomes with Concurrent Coincident use of Metformin During Lung SBRT. Stang KM, Alite F, Altoos B, Melian E, Emami B, Haekenrider MM. (Research elective; presented in ASTRO)
Research Rotation Projects July 2016- June 2018
- Association between atopic dermatitis and hospitalization for mental health disorders in the United States. Derek Y. Hsu,Ben Smith, Jonathan I. Silverberg. Department of Dermatology, Northwestern University Feinberg School of Medicine
- Early Response to Intravitreal Dexamethasone Implant Therapy in Diabetic Macular Edema May Predict Long-Term Visual Outcome. Hasenin Al-khersan, Seenu M. Hariprasad, Jay Chhablani on behalf of The Dex Implant Study Group
- Heart Rate Variability in Spinal Cord Injury with Position Changes vs. Controls. Annie Pally
- Immunoreactivity of adipose triglyceride lipase (ATGL) in colorectal carcinoma. Marshall Meeks, Jinping Lai
- Prevalence of Retinopathy of Prematurity in Africa: A Systematic Review. Daniel Wang MD, Peter Campbell MD, R.V. Paul Chan MD
- Visual Potential in Elderly Amblyopes After Cataract Surgery . Lincoln Shaw MD. Joanne Christy MD, Sergul Erzurum MD, FACS
- Single- Cell Transcriptomics of Human Mesnchymal Stem Cell Reveal Age-Related Celular Subpopulation Depletion and Imapiared Regenerative Gene Expression. Sacha M.L. Khong, Ming Lee, Danika M. Khong, Nina Kosaric, Dominik Duscher, Yixiao Dong, Richard Schafer, Geoffrey Gurtner. (Research elective- manuscript in review)
- A Comprehensive Review of Acute Pelvic Trauma. Michael J. Lee, Emmanuel Reyes, Adam Wright, Suzanne T. Chong. (Research elective- manuscript in review)
- RGC Neuroprotection Following Optic Nerve Trauma Mediated by Intranasal Delivery of Amnion Cell Secretome. Gabriela A. Grinblat (Rifkin), Reas S. Khan, Kimberly Dine, Howard Wessel, Larry Brown, Kenneth Shindler. (Research elective-manuscript in review)
- Optimizing The Antisepsis Protocol: Effectiveness of 3 povidone-iodine 1.0 % applications versus a single application of povidone-iodine 5%. Megan Silas, Richard Schroeder, Richard Thomson, William Myers. (Research elective-presented in National Conference)
- Treatment Outcomes and Post-Operative Complications of Trabeculectomy and Glaucoma Drainage Device Surgery by Age. Michael D. Abendroth, George C. Papachristou, Erik B. Lehman, Christine E. Callahan. (Own time-presented in National Concerefence)